With captivating capabilities, drones have emerged as a remarkable technological advancement in India. The demand for skilled professionals in the drone industry is expected to grow by 15-20 percent in 2023. However, the industry is struggling to find the rightly skilled professionals.
To meet this demand for skilled professionals, drones are spreading their wings in Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) in India. ITIs play a vital role in imparting vocational training across diverse trades and industries, ensuring a skilled workforce. Recognizing the need for skilled drone professionals, ITIs have swiftly integrated drone technology into their training programs. These innovative courses equip students with the expertise needed to meet industry demands, fulfilling the growing need for skilled professionals.
Drones, also known as unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), offer numerous advantages in efficiency, productivity, and safety. They find applications in diverse industries such as agriculture, construction, infrastructure inspection, surveillance, and logistics. Introducing drones courses in ITIs gives students the necessary skills and knowledge to operate and utilize drones effectively in the future.
Drones in the ITI curriculum serves multiple purposes:
- It enables students to develop proficiency in drone piloting, navigation, and control systems
- Students can learn about different types of drones, their components, and the principles behind their operation
- Practical training sessions provided by hands-on experience in operating drones
- Understanding and ensuring safety protocols
ITIs incorporating drone technology into their programs emphasize the importance of aerial data collection and analysis. Students learn about remote sensing, aerial photography, and enabling them to capture high-resolution images and gather data from various perspectives. They are trained in processing and analyzing the acquired data using specialized software to derive meaningful insights and make informed decisions.
Benefits of learning drones in ITIs
- Developing technical skills
- Fosters innovation and encourages students to think creatively
- Exposure to real-world applications of drones
- Students will be encouraged to explore their potential in solving industry-specific challenges
This cultivates an entrepreneurial mindset and prepares them for the evolving job market.
The availability of drone courses in ITIs across India is expanding rapidly. For example,
- ITIs in Indore have started offering courses on drone technology and handling to meet the increasing demand for a skilled workforce in this emerging field.
- The Central Skill Development Department has sanctioned six short-term courses in 116 ITIs across 12 states, including Andhra Pradesh, to address the need for a skilled workforce in the drone industry.
- The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) has granted 20 ITIs in Gujarat permission to start short-term courses on drones, including Drone Service technicians and Drone Manufacturing and Assembly, to meet the industry’s demand for skilled professionals.
The inclusion of drones in ITIs aligns with the Indian government’s focus on skill development and the promotion of emerging technologies. The “Skill India” initiative aims to equip the country’s workforce with industry-relevant skills and drones play a crucial role in sectors such as agriculture, infrastructure, logistics and disaster management.
Integrating drones into ITIs is a progressive step towards empowering students with modern technological skills. By incorporating drone technology into the curriculum, ITIs are preparing students for the digital era and enabling them to harness the potential of drones across diverse industries. This ensures a skilled workforce capable of leveraging the advantages of drones in their future careers and contributes to the overall growth and development of the nation.